A-Alignment. (HOOK) January 6, 2013
INTRO: Where we’ve been. Where we’re going? We’ve been rescued. The implications and expectations. If you aren’t yet a believer then you can find out what is expected of you.
HOOK: Today’s sermon is brought to you by the letter “A”. Alignment. When you hear the word alignment what immediately comes to mind?
It’s one of the most difficult things to achieve. It’s one of the most important things we never think about. We take it for granted. Examples-Car, Wendy’s, Starbucks, Checkbook, Chiropractor (get adjusted)
Everything works better in alignment. Companies, churches, people. Talk about and show vision frame.
THE BIBLE: The Bible has a lot to say about alignment, though it never mentions the word. It gives us some fabulous examples of what happen when we aren’t in alignment with God. Recap “God Offers” from The Great Rescue.
Joshua 7. Story of Achan. One man’s sin cost an entire nation.
Achan suffered because he wasn’t in alignment with God. His family suffered because he wasn’t in alignment with God. 36 men and their families suffered because he wasn’t in alignment with God.
I guarantee that if you look honestly at the issues in your life you will see that they are all related to misalignment.
Where are you misaligned? Have them write it down. Proceed to give them ideas.
“Everything that is not transformed in you will be passed on to the next generation!”-An example from my life-Yelling and Anger. The things my dad were passionate about I am passionate about. My struggle with the TV comes from the example set for me. Porn, selfishness, laziness, attached to a TV screen, Sunday only Christian, The way you treat your wife,
Bible has this high ideal. God has lofty expectations. 1 Peter 1:13-16.
Jesus-Love God and People (Matt. 22:37-40), washing feet (John 13:1-20), take up your cross, follow me (John 12:24-26). Paul-Eph. 5:1-2 (be imitators of God), Rom. 12:1-2 (spiritual act of worship to know his will),
HOW DO WE GET RID OF SIN AND START LIVING UP TO THESE HIGH IDEALS? JOHN 15. Gal. 5:22
Only made possible by the power of the Spirit (ROMANS 8:1-11) Resolve to follow Jesus & receive a new identity, new power, a new mind, new community, and new desires.
(HANDS): Becoming more aligned. Straightening your spine.
• Seeking (Adjustment)-Must look at the 3 parts and find out what needs to be adjusted.
COMMUNITY GROUP DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. Share a funny story where something was out of alignment. (Ideas-Communication with a spouse, GPS or bad directions, getting the wrong order from a restaurant, etc.)
2. (HEAD) Read 1 Peter 1:13-16, Matt. 22:37-40, Ephesians 5:1-2, and Galatians 5:22. These verses are just a few examples where we are called to be in alignment with God. Where are you out of alignment?
3. (HEART) Read the statement, “Everything that is not transformed in your life is passed on to the next generation.” What response does this phrase produce in you?
4. (HANDS) What adjustments will you strive to make to align yourself more with God and his expectations of you?